Tuesday, November 3, 2020

To Volunteer is to Live with Purpose

 Much is written expounding on the importance of staying active in order to stay mentally healthy and physically fit, especially for the baby boomer generation.  The suggestions are endless, as any person of a certain age will tell you.  To do volunteer work, that is, to do something for others, goes beyond keeping mentally and physically fit; it is the service of the unspoken hero who helps feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless, and provide warmth to those in need.  To volunteer is to live with purpose.  This is my story. 

In the winter of 2000 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The syndrome was debilitating, causing me to leave what I loved doing; teaching reading to children.  I refused to let the syndrome rule my life so I became a volunteer, knowing that I can call the shots for how long I wanted to be active on any particular day.  

I joined a social action committee, not knowing much about what they do, but understanding it had something to do with helping others.  I joined because I needed a social outlet and I needed to have a purpose in life.  Being house bound and limited was taking its toll on my spirit.

With the help of the committee members, I created  a group of knitters and crocheters who volunteer their time creating items for those in need. It became a highly successful  group that is now 16 years in the running.  This took place in PA.

When I relocated to NY I brought the knitting-for-charity concept with me and got it up and running in weeks. The group is small, but mighty,  having donated such items as baby blankets, hats, scarves, and slippers to local organizations . 

That was not enough for me.  I joined a group for baby boomers to promote the knitting-for-charity concept.  This time it only took days for the first group to be up and running.

I have become  the volunteer leader of three  Knitting groups.  Membership has grown and the knitted and crocheted items have increased to over 200 blankets, hats, scarves, and slippers.  The items are delivered to various local charitable organizations.  

How did I get these groups of volunteer knitters and crocheters to be so active? I do the following:

*I make it personal:  It is my mission to know each volunteer knitter as a friend.  When we get together, I know each by name, their story, and their needs. I encourage them to contact me by phone or email.  I tell them I am always available. 

    *I keep it fun:  I like to laugh.  Who doesn't?  At our meetings I encourage conversation that includes much winking and giggling.  

    *I make it social:  This is easy to do because knitting in a group is a social activity.  We all have similar goals and interests, so conversations are endless.

    *I have a goal and a timeline:  When knitting with a purpose it is important to have a goal and a timeline.  I ask the knitters what and how many items do we want to make this month.  Their answer is our purpose and every one is involved.

     *I stress no-stress involvement:   Knitting should never be stressful. Who cares if we didn't reach 10 blankets this month: Are we having fun?  Are we still working on it?  Then, so what?  And…we meet our goals more often than not.

*I stay in touch even when I'm not reaching out for volunteers:  Periodically, I send off an email to the few who have not shown up at meetings, or who have been absent from meetings for a while.  I simply ask how things are and how we miss their presence at the meetings.  Simple to do, wonderful responses.

I love my volunteer life. Every day, every gathering is different and always inspiring.  The spirit I wanted energized?  It's energized! I couldn't be happier … so much so, I have written about it.






No comments: